Monday 7 October 2013

Chez Bruce

Date of visit:  15 February 2013

Early this year, two friends of mine and I went to Chez Bruce for a nice lunch to celebrate Valentine's Week.  I know it's only meant to be Valentine's Day, but when celebrations of love are in order, why not extend it to a week, especially since there's going to be good food and company?  ;)

The three of us unanimously agreed that it has to be one of the most value-for-money Michelin meals we've had.  It may have only gotten one star in the Michelin guide, but good food doesn't have to be expensive and/or come in tiny portions.  It was a bonus for us that the restaurant is located between Zones 2 and 3, so it was somewhat a half-day trip out.  It provided some respite from the hustle and bustle of Central London and a short break from the rigour of our university course!


Exterior of the cosy restaurant


View of the peaceful countryside from our table upstairs


Appetiser:  Foie gras and chicken liver parfait with smoked duck and walnut salad, toasted brioche

This was the star of the meal for me.  The parfait was the best spread I'd ever tasted.  I never knew foie gras and chicken liver could go so well together until I tried this.  The smoked duck and walnuts complemented the creamy parfait really well and the brioche was toasted to perfection.  The picture does not do it justice, but the edges were so crisp and the bread itself was fluffy.  The buttery fragrance also won half the battle for these deceivingly humble-looking slices.

A word of caution:  You wouldn't know how you could stomach two more courses after this!  It was so filling, especially because all three of us couldn't resist polishing off every bit of the parfait.

9/10

Main:  Fillet of cornish brill with garlic and pernod butter, shrimps, gnocchi, sea kale and samphire

I ordered this main, and am glad to say everything on the plate was cooked well and the flavours were matched to my liking.  It was creamy yet light and the fish was browned very nicely, as you can see above.  The vegetables were also soft but not overcooked, they get a nod from me!  Once again, this was yet another filling course.

8/10

Main:  Warm salad of duck and winter vegetables with confit leg, red wine vinaigrette and dauphinois croquettes

My friend ordered this, and I remember liking the dauphinois croquette.  The duck was also delicious but I can't remember much though, especially since this was quite a while ago and I only tasted a spoonful of it.

No rating (did not have the whole dish)

Main:  Glazed cheek and jowl of pork with soft polenta, grilled endive, crisp pancetta, and wild mushrooms

My other friend ordered this and seemed very pleased with it.  I like how they don't use the typical vegetables I've come across in my other meals (beetroot, rhubarb, leek, etc.).  Yet another hearty course.  Pleased that this restaurant believes in being generous with their servings!

No rating

Dessert:  Pink Grapefruit Sorbet (with madeleine and almond biscuit)

This dessert lacked sophistication and was too safe for me.  Some pieces were too sweet or tart, thus the flavours did not seem to come together nicely.  However, they were individually well done.

One of my friends ordered the crème brûlée, which was safe but nonetheless executed well while the other friend ordered the pear and almond tart with butterscotch sauce and clotted cream. Again, nothing fancy but still executed well.

6/10



Service: 7/10

Nothing outstanding, but I actually appreciate that they mostly left us alone to enjoy the food and each other's company.

Taste: 8/10

Overall, all the dishes were executed really well.  There was no gripe regarding the taste of the food and everything was cooked to our liking.

I would give it a higher rating, but being a desserts person, I felt that a better dessert (at least for me) would have brought the meal to the next level.  My dessert was slightly too sweet and not as refreshing as I'd hoped.  Nothing makes me happier than having a delicious dessert to finish off what was already a wonderful meal.  After all, the dessert is the last chance the chef has to impress and that impression sticks with me for quite a while after the meal.  Some of my favourite restaurants have made sure to end with a bang by surprising me with a great blend of flavours or interesting ways of preparing the dessert (see Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and L'Enclume).

Ambience: 8/10 

If you like restaurants that feel cosy and yet give you enough privacy to comfortably enjoy good conversations with friends, this is the place for you.  This countryside restaurant provides a great chill-out for a mid-term break or just a place to check out during the weekends.

Return?

Definitely.  Very value-for-money and exceeded our expectations in many aspects.


2 Bellevue Road,
Wandsworth Common,
London SW17 7EG

Tel: 020 8672 0114

£27.5 for three-course lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment